12.16.2013

Death to social media or death of human interaction?

I really didn't want to write this entry. then, I reeeeally didn't want to post this entry. but sometimes posts aren't for the writer. sometimes words really just need to be said. I've been harboring this little bubble of frustration for a couple days and I just can't take it anymore.


I was told to unplug for 48 hours as one of my 28s. That means no calls, no texts, no social fucking media. I thought it would be hard at first. But I've found that the number of people who talk to me consistently enough to notice a 48 hour absence, is a very small number. on top of that, not being so attached to that world allowed me to get out and explore my own. honestly, I unplug randomly for days at a time now and literally TWO people notice.


but this whole thing made me think. I started thinking back to school. all the things I learned from actual against-the-grain professors. and I'm actually appalled. the more I unplug, the less I find myself needing or even wanting to plug back in. I like going out. I like exploring the world. I like trying new things. I DONT like worry about what the next person is doing. I DONT like being afraid I've missed something that isn't even all that important. I DONT like being a slave to social fucking media.


honestly...my generation. and many that will come behind us. are screwed. we as a group of people are more disconnected than ever. we would sooner text, iChat, facebook, tweet, or some other crap before we pick up a phone, write a letter, or even venture out of the house. I shudder to think of what writing will even be like in the future since NO ONE WRITES ANYMORE. it's all typing. all of it. everything. computers. I've come to understand why I gravitate towards these 'adventurous' people. it's not because they're adventurous. it's because they'd rather turn the electronics off and actually engage in human interaction. I didn't realize how much I missed that. I say fuck it. I'm over facebook. I'm over twitter. I'm over Instagram. I refuse to live my life one 'like' at a time. I'm casting off the shackles of social media. I'm turning off the computer and all of the all-too-accessible
apps. I'm getting back to real life.


One of my professors said something along these lines once - "the more connected we are, the more distant we become". what will be our endgame?

No comments: