12.07.2013

Human Condition?

"When your back is turned, fake friends decide to get others on their side and turn people against you"

"Don't worry about what people say behind your back. They are the people who are finding faults in your life instead of fixing the faults in their own life"

I don't understand how people work. I sit and I listen to what (most) people do when relationships go sour. All facets of relationships. It's like people are compulsively driven to divulge the most disturbing, horrifying, personal things about an individual to others. I've sat back and watched former lovers, family members and friends react that way. In public no less. I was even guilty of it when I was younger. It does nothing but make me uncomfortable now. And a little sad. I'm so thankful for Sociology. It has changed the way I view and approach people. Maybe it's all a defense mechanism. We feel better about ourselves if we can in a way put someone else lower than us. It's as if they weren't happy when things were going well, or were pretending to be. Can one bad experience really sour you on life and everyone all together?


When I told my mother what I discovered a former friend was doing with my trust in her, she had two things to say to me - "be careful who you call a friend" and "don't allow yourself to go to that level". But I never had the urge to do that. I never felt the need to run around and tell everyone everything about her. It seemed...juvenile to me. And I have my integrity. The more people I hear that she's "told about me", the more I pity her. It's a shame that she feels she needs to validate her existence, feel important...relevant....by discussing me with whoever will entertain her.

There are a few lines from Survivor that flashed across my mind the instant she started spiraling -
I'm not gon blast you on the radio, I'm not gon lie on you and your family, You know I'm not gon diss you on the internet, cause my mama taught me better than that.

She did teach me better, early in life. I'm glad for it. School solidified it for me.

No comments: