12.15.2007

Life Changes

It's coming up on a year now (December 21) that i've been (attempting to) cope with a multitude of health problems that have all been discovered and newly developed. Year 1 was rough enough with me not knowing when my body was gonna battle back against me.

Many females my age dont even know what uterine fibroids are. And if they do, its not because they themselves have experienced it, but maybe their mom or an aunt. Fibroids are supposed to be and older woman inconvenience (they typically occur after pregnancy, the age of 30, or right before menopause). Obviously, i dont fit the bill. I'm 22, no children, and faaaaaar from menopause...unless my body's harboring another surprise. There is one other major cause for fibroids however - being overweight. When someone is more than 25lbs overweight, the body tends to go haywire when it comes to hormones and chemicals. In women specifically, the body can overproduce estrogen, as a, compensation kind of. So they grow and lead to a host of even more inconveniences - heavy menstrual bleeding, pain in the lower abdomen or back, painful sex, peeing like an elderly person. I tell ya, what a year.

I just did research and found that I cant even do the non-hysterectomy treatment, because there's a 60% chance that conceiving will be severely impaired. Hooray for one rung lower on the ladder of uterus-loss. Instead of losing it completely, i just risk losing its primary capabilities. Fair trade.

The other issue I wont even get into because honestly, it embarrasses me greatly. I dont plan to let anyone in on this one for quite a while...or at least til i'm mentally ready. The idea of it still drives me crazy. Nonetheless, i am in the process of getting it fixed permanently. I'm so thrilled that it wont result in me never having kids either. The thought makes me chipper. The procedure is hella painful though, and for some reason will leave me with flu symptoms and possible period symptoms as well, for up to three weeks after. not to mention the 6-month limitation it puts on other stuff. I will cope though, if it means i never have to deal again. ....amazing year.

Between the two problems, i've missed days of school, days of work, slept more than half days, been unable to sleep others, and one doctor thinks they are in part the reason for the big D. i dont doubt it...something i cant directly do anything about and could potentially impair/kill me is not something that can really be sat on & taken in stride. Who wouldnt stress? Time bombs galore.

Of course, everyone's telling me not to worry, "its ok". But its not happening to them. They arent in my position. And i'll be damned if everyone would actually believe that everything will be "totally fine" if they were faced with it all. I'm nowhere near in the clear, and until the right moves are made, i think i'll be stuck in this little sinkhole of medical madness.

I think I feel a panic attack coming on.

No comments: