11.05.2008

True Change?

Now, on one of, if not the most historical nights in American history, let alone American politics, we have a man of color, be it 1/2 black, in the Oval Office. I know many of you voted out there since we've had the largest voter turnout in history, I know some of you voted for the first time ever, and hopefully, it won't be your last.

Now, I didn't vote for Obama because he's 1/2 black, I didn't vote for him because he's democrat as I believe the idea that all minorities should vote democrat is the most ignorant idea, I didn't vote for him because I didn't like McCain, one of the reasons I voted for him was due to his stance on women's healthcare, which is important to me because I have a grandmother who is sick often. I also liked his stance on the economy, but I will admit one reason I voted had nothing to do with any of his political standings, I hoped that young african americans across the nation would open their eyes and see that the path they are currently traveling is wrong and that seeing a man who has traveled the right path would hopefully cause them to reconsider their life choices.

Having a man of color in the white house isn't the be all & end all for our people, the view on us won't change until we change. I can guarantee you, I will put my life on this, that tonight there are black kids celebrating Obamas victory, but tomorrow, somewhere in America, there will be a case of black on black, hell, black in any race, violence based on something ignorant, gang related, or just plain stupid. There will still be the glorification of gang culture, the embracing of ignorant music with no message, the wearing of clown clothes, your XXXL white tees, the jeans that have TOO much sag, the gold teeth, its too much. Black kids across the nation, who speak with a vernacular on par with the level of a chimpanzee, will be looked at as cool, while those who choose eloquence over ignorant will continue to be labeled as "sounding white" or being nerds. There will be kids on the city buses tomorrow afternoon with nothing better to discuss than a profanity-laced tirade about there peers, they'll be constantly using the word "nigga" not realizing that they're being looked at as "niggers". There will be elaborate handshakes, bandanas, "jux's", "flippings", and initiations.

By now you should get the point of what I'm trying to say. The fact that there is a man of color as President elect means that there is hope for change on some level, I'm hoping that at least one black child, teenager, or young adult can use this event as an inspiration to try and better themselves and their race.

Note: This was written off the top of my head via my sidekick. It was directly after Obama's speech, there was no time to organize my thoughts, so bare with me.


~ Courtesy of DJ Chris

No comments: