11.30.2013

Who I Am

“The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly.”- Buddha


With the death of my Aunt Cheryl in 2001, a notably genuine, incredibly GOOD person. I took a step back from the whole empire of organized religion. I had never on my own subscribed to it, just grew up in a catholic house, and went with what I was told is the way to do things. I realized I had no reason to support it. I had done no research, I had no information that wasn't fed to me by everyone else. And I walked away from it. I needed to understand on my own why, with all of these different deities, my aunt had to go the way she did. It wasn't until 2010, through a coworker and eventual friend, that I found an interest again. I've always been a curious person. I like new things, different things. I like to expand my knowledge pool. She gave me a nonjudgmental look at Buddhism through her eyes. She understood my desire to learn, to know about a religion and what it means to you before diving in. I must say, I studied quite a few - Christianity, Catholicism, Islam, Judaism. But I liked Buddhism the most. Although I am far from a practicing Buddhist, I do follow many of their concepts and teachings. Recently I have found myself asking a lot of questions about my own being. Who I am, who I want to be, what I want to do, what kind of mark am I leaving on the world. And in the past, when I began to question, when I lost my focus, it was little Buddha who enlightened me and helped me re-establish myself. Once again, without my realizing, Buddhism has come to my rescue. I kind of understand now why some people are so willing and able to follow religion so blindly. Mine reminds me where my attention should be. once I have that, everything else will fall into place.

No comments: