1.12.2014

Perception

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our despair, against our own will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God. —Aeschylus

It's a scary thing. To think that everything you know, the life you have, can not only change...but completely disappear in the blink of an eye. To hear Abby say that her husband, 5-year old daughter, and 19 day old son, all because of one man's careless actions. She said every role she'd held - wife, mother, caregiver, lover - had been taken from her in a matter of seconds.

I can't imagine a loss that substantial. It's beyond my capability to even fathom. But she's inspired me. Her courage. determination. perseverance. survival. Losing Austin, losing Aunt Cheryl. I can't even compare. I hadn't had the chance to really know who Austin would have been. Aunt Cheryl...she was my aunt. Like a sister, but my aunt. If she can overcome, I think anyone can.

No comments: