4.13.2014

The Learning Curveball

I've learned a lot. Being back in actual healthcare (as opposed to the behind-the-scenes business) has forced me to learn and understand and appreciate a lot.
I used to throw fits over my fibroids. Why me? What did I do to warrant so much pain and stress and aggravation so early in life? and for so long?


But then patients were admitted to my unit with co-morbids. So many co-morbids. More than I even saw in my renal patients. To have CHF & pulmonary sarcoidosis & random ischemias & fully metastasized cancers...I can't even fathom. Fibroids are technically curable, depending on each woman's circumstances. And the only "co-morbid" I boast is anemia - a pale-in-comparison side effect of the fibroids. These people can't cure one condition and be ok. A lot of them can't be cured of any of their conditions. So, I find myself whining less about my fibroids, and taking it all in stride. In the game of life, I may not have the perfect hand...but mine is far from the worst on the playing field.

No comments: